As a Sajadah brand, you can imagine Salah holds a very special place in our lives. However, it doesn’t mean we’ve always been fully aware of its power and during our journey, we came across many people who either struggle with it, aren’t very consistent it or don’t even really enjoy it and simply see it as a task to get done.
If you relate to these feelings, then make sure to keep reading and learn why Salah is so essential to our lives.
Why do we pray?
We came to the realization that the reason why a lot of Muslims do not have a deep connection with Salah is because they don’t actually know why they pray. It is fair to say that our cultures often make it look like we simply have to obey Allah (swt) without looking deeper into it, as if all this was just about submitting yourself to Him. It goes without saying that salah is the main act of ‘ibadah one can perform, but the truth is, The Almighty doesn’t need anything from us: we’re doing this for ourselves.
Praying five times a day allows you to meditate, to repent, to be grateful, to show humility, to learn discipline, to be grateful and therefore, to build a strong connection with Allah (swt). I mean, can you imagine how lucky we are to be granted five opportunities a day to talk about anything and everything to The One who gives us everything? In fact, Prophet Muhammad (saws) said, “The parable of the five prayers is that of a river running at your door in which he cleanses himself five times a day.” (Muslim 668)
Of course, we’re humans and Sheytan will always try to drive us away from that intention to grab a prayer mat, but switching our mindsets and seeing salah as a moment of selfcare rather than a chore will help tremendously.
How do I make it a special moment?
Our modern lifestyles can make it hard to prioritize and get excited about salah, but here are few habits you can implement to change for the best:
1. Get up as soon as it is time for prayer: watching Netflix or scrolling on social media can wait!
2. Start being in a state of meditation during wu’du: this step already allows you to purify yourself from your sins, make it intentional.
3. Go in a calm space and wear your best clothes: this will avoid distraction and allow you to deeply connect with the present moment. If you can, create yourself a prayer nook so you know this is your dedicated space for salah.
4. Don’t get up immediately once you’re done: make du’a, reflect, breathe deeply… Just stay on your prayer rug for a bit, the angels will even make du’a for you!
5. Don’t find excuses: when you’re on the go, make sure you bring a pocket sajadah with you. You can always find a way to pray, you just need to make it happen!
May Allah (swt) allow us to grow closer to Him and remain steadfast in our salah!